Summer holidays - Our top ten activities and ideas for children
The summer holidays have arrived - six lovely school-free weeks! And the sun has even arrived here in the UK just in time for them. If you're wondering how to fill the days, we thought we'd bring you a few ideas to keep your little ones entertained. Here are our top ten ideas for this week. Since the summer weather has finally arrived (hooray!), we thought we'd start with lots of outdoor activities...
- Get into the sporty spirit and hold your own Olympic Games.
- Kiddy car wash - children love splashing about and even being helpful every now and then! So how about setting up a car/toy wash for them in your driveway or garden. All you need is a bucket filled with soapy water, a few sponges, cloths and their toys and away they go!
- Paint outside with water - if you don’t fancy getting messy with paints, let the little ones get creative with water - an old paintbrush, a cup of water and paving stones in the garden.
- Go fruit picking - why not visit a local ‘pick your own’ farm and pick some juicy strawberries or raspberries. Take them home and make your own jam, a cake, ice lollies or fruit jelly.
- Make a water wall - only a little bit of construction needed for this one and you’ve got hours of fun.
- Make and blow bubbles - make your own batch of bubble mixture and go bubble crazy.
- Go on a colour hunt - this would work equally well indoors and out, perhaps on the beach collecting pebbles and shells.
- Keep a holiday scrapbook or diary - we both loved keeping a little scrapbook of our holidays as children. They weren’t quite as fancy as this holiday scrapbook mind you.
- Go for a walk and build a twig tower - for nature loving little ones, forget Jenga indoors and get out into the woods and build your own.
- Feed the birds - our little ones love feeding the ducks in the park. How about feeding the birds in the garden too with this speedy bird cake or recycled bird feeder.